Teaching English language online is another way for people living in countries like Canada and USA to Chinese students use in making money online. And the two biggest ESL tutoring companies based in China is VIPKID and QKIDS. Both companies have high reputation over the years of doing business. This is why we are going to compare vipkid vs qkids.
This article will focus on the pros and cons of working on this two ESL giants. One of the main problem of working online is fact that most of this online companies do not pay and are trying to find people who will work for free. But both Vipkid and Qkids do pay its worker regularly and some people have turn this gig to another source of revenue.
Vipkid boast of having more than 600,000 students on their platform and the number of tutors on their platform is more than 70,000. This claim can be found on their website. Vipkid is founded by educators and administrators with decades of experience in education.
Pros of Vipkid
- Vipkid pay $14-$22 per hour and there are other performance bonus.
- Tutor can work anywhere in the world, once you pass the interview VIPKID allows it tutor to work no matter the location.
- Tutor set the time for their class.
- Tutor get their full hourly rate if a student cancels within 24 hours.
- One on one class.
- Lot of free training materials for new tutor on their platform.
- Vipkid develop the curriculum so you can focus teaching.
- Vipkid class content are designed to improve the students within a short possible time.
Cons of Vipkid
- Vipkid terminate ESL tutor contract after few complaint without resolving the issue.
- Class booking can sometimes be irregular.
- No stand by time for tutors.
Qkids was founded in 2015and has offices in Shenzhen, Xiamen, Guangzhou, and Beijing. It is an online teaching platform that connect English tutors from North America to thousands of Chinese children age 4 – 12.
Pros of Qkids
- Qkids pays its tutor $16 – $20 per hour ( two lesson per hour).
- Half pay for standby time
- Qkids develop the curriculum and teaching materials, tutors only focus on teaching of kids.
Cons of Qkids
- Tutors are expected to be located in North America countries like Canada and USA.
- Four kids per class can be difficult to manage.
- Class booking is cumbersome for new tutors.
Vipkid vs Qkids
It is time to go into full detail of the comparison between Vipkid and Qkids. The two online teaching platform is located in China and pay its tutor on time.
- Interview – Vipkid vs Qkids
Both online teaching platform conduct interview for new tutor who are interested in joining their platform.
Vipkid Interview Process
After signing up on their platform, prospective tutor will filled their application and if Vipkid accept your application. Successful tutor will get email that contains information on how to set up your interview.
The email would contain link to your Teacher portal, where you can set up your interview, material guide and videos.
Vipkid use three different interview method, you should choose the method which you are comfortable with.
1. Record yourself teaching the demo lesson.
2. Have a live interview with Vipkid staff.
3. Attend a Vipkid coaching day.
Qkids Interview Process
Qkids interview process is different from Vipkid, and within two weeks you can be through with your interview.
- Submit your application, résumé, and two minutes video reading a children book.
- Demo interview 1 and 2 to test your teaching skill, knowledge and a full 25 minutes of question and answer.
- Trial class of 2 – 5 class with students, you will get paid for this trial class.
- Job Requirement – Vipkid Vs Qkids
Their job requirement are almost similar and are looking for tutors with teaching experience and qualification.
Vipkid Job Requirement
- Bachelor Degree in English Language.
- Minimum of one year teaching experience.
- Ability to work in Canada or USA.
Qkids Job Requirement
- Eligible to legally work in the U.S. or Canada.
- AA Eligibility Required, BA Preferred.
- Below BA will require a plan to earn TESOL/TEFL certificate.
- Digital literacy and the ability to lead an engaging learning atmosphere.
- Prior teaching experience or equivalent in education, tutoring, mentoring, homeschooling preferred.
- English teaching certificates (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, ESL) preferred.
- Pay Rate – Vipkid Vs Qkids
Vipkid Pay Rate
Vipkid base rate is $7 – $9 per 30minutes class and it depends on your qualification and performance in their interview. You can make up to $22 per hour when you consider their performance bonuses.
- A $1 attendance/punctuality bonus for being on time to class.
- A $0.50 bonus per class whenever you teach 30+ lessons in a month.
- A $1.00 bonus per class whenever you teach 45+ lessons in a month.
Qkids Pay Rate
Qkids has a base pay rate of $8 per lesson and you make $16 when you complete two class in a hour. It also gives it tutor performance bonus and you can get $2 in performance bonus if you complete a minimum of 15 class lessons in a week.
- $1 Performance Fee for each lesson based on your review from the student.
- $1 Attendance Bonus for each lesson once a minimum of 15 lessons are taught in a week
Vipkid and Qkids has high number of students enrollment and tutors using this platform are guarantee of getting paid each month. You can sign up with any of the two ESL platform and become an online tutor.