Starting a lifestyle blog can be a little bit difficult for new blogger but is one of the highest paying blogging niche. The reward of blogger who choose lifestyle blog can be in form of affiliate sales, sponsored post, AdSense or selling ebooks.
Due to the people misconception of about lifestyle blog, most new blogger focus on other blogging niche like:
- Food blogger
- Travel blogger
- Parenting blogger
- Tech blogger
- DIY blogger and so on
Most blogger start as an hobby and quickly turn it to a career because of the rewards when you turn to an authority in your niche. Lifestyle blogging niche is also like other niche.
In this article I will share 6 steps to follow when starting lifestyle blogs, if you follow this step you can create your personal lifestyle blog.
What is a lifestyle blog?
A lifestyle blog is a blog where the writer tells their reader about stories in their life to help their reader to know more about their journey. If you just are getting a new job, you can share your personal experience getting a job and what you feel about working in a particular place.
Due to the fact that the writer is telling a particular experience about their life. A lifestyle blog can contain other blogging niche.
Blogger are not limited to a particular niche and when your follower increases, you can accept guest post on your blog from your readers.
Why should you start a lifestyle blog
Everybody want to be heard and your blog can be a medium for you to express your mind freely.
The best part of being a lifestyle blogger is that brand would reach out to you to review their products and services. This can be another way to make money from your blog. You can read my guide on how to create media kit when reaching out to brands.
How to start a lifestyle blog
Starting a lifestyle blog is like any other blogging niche. You have to research properly before starting. Luckily for you I would explain six step to take when starting lifestyle blogs.
1. Choose what your blog is all about
This is the very first step that prospective lifestyle blogger to consider. Lifestyle blog is very wide and you can write any topic you feel comfortable with. Though you can choose a particular topics to write about.
You can check out best lifestyle blogs to have an idea about what your new blog is all about. Write down all the idea in a notepad. You can also check out their blog design and layout.
2. Choose your domain name
Domain name is the blog address that your reader who type in the browser tab to access your blog. With so many free domain name, you should be able to find the domain name of your choice for just $0.99 a year.
- If you want premium domain name or domain name registered by domain flipper you have to cough out huge sum of money.
- Buy .com extension of your domain name because it is most reader will assume your blog end with .com thereby losing readers.
- Check out if the domain name is banned by Google and AdSense. If the domain is banned, Don’t bother buying the domain name because Google won’t index the domain in their search console while if the domain is banned by Google AdSense you can’t monetize your blog.
- Check out uspto to avoid copyright issue. If the domain is geo location you can check your country copyright law.
- Make sure that your domain name pass radio test. Radio test means that people will be able to accurately write down your domain when they heard it the first time.
3. Choose your blog platform
Free blog platform like blogger, tumblr or wordpress.com can be use on your blog. You don’t pay money when you choose free blog platform. They only downside is that you are not in control of the blog. The blog platform can delete your blog if you go contrary with their term of service.
Professional blogger make use of paid platform. The best blog platform is WordPress because of free and paid plugins to improve your blog.
The web hosting you choose should be:
- Cheap and easy to set up.
- Come with free SSL certificate to make your blog secured.
- Fast loading time to improve your blog engagement. Google favours site with fast loading time with higher ranking in serp.
- 99% uptime, this means that your blog will be available all the time of the day except when the hosting is carrying out periodic maintenance on their server. You can also use cloudflare on your blog.
- Customer service to help you when you encounter any problem.
- Regular backup of your blog.
The hosting company you choose depends on your choice.
5. Install WordPress and design your blog
After buying your web hosting for your blog the next step is to install WordPress. Your web hosting company will send necessary information like DNS, password and username.
Access your cpanel with the username and password. This is the backend of your blog.
This will display a lot of tools. You only need to scroll down to software tab. If you don’t know what to do you can contact your hosting customer service to help.
- Go to quick install and look for WordPress.
- Click on WordPress and follow the instructions.
- Once you finish the installation. You have to wait for few hours so that your hosting company will populate your domain.
- Copy your username and password to access your WordPress backend. This is where you will be posting your articles,pictures and video.
- If you are using the domain provided by your hosting company. You don’t have to change your DNS. if you buy your domain from domain registrar like namecheap and Godaddy, you need to change your DNS to the one provided by your host.
- Install theme and create your pages like about me, contact me and so on.
- Install WordPress plugins on your blog.
- Customize your blog to your satisfaction and if you don’t know how to go about this. You can make use of a good web designer.
6. Publish your first post
I recommend that you choose a web designer to design your blog. This will help you to eliminate trial and error method and your blog will look professional.
Your web designer will help you:
To create different pages on your blog.
- Change the permalink structure of your blog.
- Install SSL certificate on your blog.
- Create and submit your blog sitemap to search engine console like Google, Bing, Ask and so on.
- Install mobile friendly theme on your blog to attract more mobile user.
- Install all the necessary plugins for the smooth running of your blog.
The very next step is for your to write your very first post. Since there is no guideline in lifestyle blog. Just find something personal to write about and when you are done share the article with your friends and family.
Starting a lifestyle blog can be difficult but if you are determined. You can make it work. Make sure that you write about what you are passionate about.