Do you need sitemap for your WordPress website and you don’t know what sitemap is all about and how to create your sitemap and submit it to search engine like Google, Bing, Ask, Yandex.
This article would let you know what sitemap is all about and how you can create your blog sitemap for free and submit the sitemap for crawl and index.
What Is Sitemap?
Sitemap is the list of all post and pages on your site that visitor can access and search engine robot can crawl and index in order to display your site post and pages when user ask question about your website.
Sitemap are created in an XML version and when you submit the sitemap to search engine, it helps the search engine to understand what your website is all about and the pages that they can index and crawl and the pages that you don’t want search engine robot to index and crawl.
Do You Need Sitemap?
Since I have covered what sitemap is all about, you might be wondering if you need sitemap for your website or not.
For newly created website or blog, the best advice is to create sitemap of your website and submit it to search engine if you are thinking of getting any organic traffic, sitemap is important because it helps the search engine robots to understand your website better.
For an established website that already created and submit sitemap to search engine. It helps them to understand if the search robot is crawling their site accurately or if some part of their page is not indexed by search engine robot, they can resubmit the pages in order to be indexed again.
If you discovered that some post on your website is not crawled and index by search engine, it can affect your ranking position in SERP.
How to Create Sitemap in WordPress
I am sure that your website is built on WordPress and not other blogging platform, the next step is to create sitemap of your site. If not quickly migrate to WordPress and use Bluehost to hosting your site.
There are many plugins that you can use to create sitemap in WordPress but sometimes this plugin does not work correctly.
The best plugin to create sitemap is Yoast SEO, this plugin help you to create plugin and also properly SEO of your post in order to achieve high ranking in the SERP.
To create your sitemap, you need to install and activate Yoast SEO, if you don’t know how to install Yoast SEO; you can read free guideline here.
Go to Yoast SEO in your WordPress dashboard and click on General>feature look for XML sitemap, click on enable XML sitemap functionality for your website. Click on Save after you configure your XML setting.
You have created your XML sitemap and Yoast SEO will display your XML sitemap alongside your domain name https://craftmultimedia.com/sitemap_index.xml.
How to Submit Sitemap to Google
Some search engine can crawl and index your website by submitting your sitemap. The problem is that you won’t be able to know the number of pages that they crawl and index.
- To submit your sitemap to Google search console, you need to sign up with your Google account with Google search console.
- After signing up, the next step is to add your website, click on add site button and enter the URL of your website.
- The next step is to verify your website to check if you are the owner of the website or not. There are different ways that you can verify your website but the easiest is the adding of meta tag to your website homepage.
- In a new page, open your WordPress dashboard and. There are plugin that helps you to insert meta tags easily, install and activate All meta tags plugin, go to setting and Copy the code of meta tag and paste it in the box provided and click save.
- Go back to the Google search console page and click on verify It will display congratulation message to inform you that you have successfully verified the ownership of your website.
- On the Google search console dashboard, since you don’t have sitemap of your website, it would look empty, look for add sitemap button.
- Click on Add sitemap button and submit the sitemap of your website that you created using Yoast SEO.
- It takes some time before Google crawl your website. After Google crawl your website it will display a list of link point to your website, number of pages crawl and index, and error about your website and so on.
The amount of data that Google Search Console display would increases as your website get older, the data would help you to improve your ranking position, the number of backlinks linking back to your website, and your ranking position in the SERP.
I hope you now understand what sitemap is and how to create sitemap using Yoast SEO and submit the sitemap to Google Search Console. If you have any question you can let us know in the comment box below.