Weblog usually called blog can be created using different platform – the platform includes both free and paid platform, commonly used platform used in creating blog including free platform like wordpress.com, blogger.com, tumblr.com while paid platform includes wordpress.org, joomla.com e.t.c. This platform can be used to create blog ranging from content blog, cooking blog, dairy and website for your business.
Everyday new blog are being created by different people for their project, the platform they use depends on the project, the technical know-how of the blogger, and the cost of creating and running blog. Finding the right domain name for your blog or business is the first step that you have to consider when starting your blog.
If you don’t know about domain name, I have already covered the a-z of domain name; you should read and understand the steps to find the right domain name before starting your blog. WordPress is the most used platform in the market with more than 27% of blog using this platform for the blog, it is simple and easy to use, and comes with both free and paid plugin that makes your blogging experience easier, and faster. So if you are wondering which blogging platform to use for your blog, I recommend wordpress.org.
Paid Platform versus Free Platform
This chapter who focus on the benefits of using paid platform instead of free platform and why people still use free platform. Blogger.com is the most common free platform, when you use this platform for your blog, your blog address is healthwise.blogspot.com which fail radio test and hard to remember, though you can still change the blog to appear professional by buying domain name of your blog and changing the DNS name server to Google. The blog address now looks like healthwise.com which can pass the radio test.
But the era of using free platform is over, most new bloggers prefer using free blog to understand what blogging is all about and later migrate to paid platform when they have some money to cover the cost of hosting and domain name, If you are interested in blog that is guaranteed of generating revenue then you have to consider paid platform because:
- Free platform is too long which can reduce the number of visitors that visit your blog, since the goal of every blogger is to get traffic to their blog using organic traffic, paid advertising, guest posting, and forum posting. There is a low chance of visitor clicking on your link if you are using free platform because they don’t trust your blog credibility and authority, it doesn’t matter if you have well-written content on your blog.
- Your blog is not your own, but technically the free platform that you are using. They can block your blog if you violate their term and condition. This deprived you of your old visitor and loss of revenue because they can’t access your blog and you have to create a new blog and find new visitor to read your blog. If you want rest of mind, you can create your blog on a paid platform like WordPress.
- Unavailability of domain name, when you want to move to paid platform you need a domain name for your blog, your old blog address on free platform like healthwise.blogspot.com becomes healthwise.com if you are the owner of domain name healthwise.com. Since free platform doesn’t need domain name before you can create your blog, you might not buy the domain name on time from domain registrar or the domain name might be in use by another blogger, this means that you have to buy a new domain name for your blog. The sudden change of domain name can lead to loss of traffic and revenue for you. The only way to prevent this from happening:
- When starting your blog on free platform buy the domain name that is exactly with your blog address, for example, the owner of healthwise.blogspot.com healthwise.com. And use the domain name when you want to migrate to a paid You can use your domain name on free platform like blogger by changing the domain DNS nameserver on your domain registrar.
- Redirect your web visitor from your old blog to newly created blog; this prevents loss of old visitor to your blog because when they type your old address it automatically brings them to your new blog instead of the old blog.
- Free platform blog looks unprofessional and can affect your blog traffic. Blogger is the best free platform on the platform because you can change the blog address to the domain of your choice.
How to Create a blog on Blogger
Blogger is created by Google as a free platform that you can use to create blog or website depending on what you need. The platform is free to use and you don’t need to buying web hosting to hosting your blog.
Healthwise.blogspot.com is the address of the blog that you create on BlogSpot would look like; you can remove the BlogSpot from the blog address if you want a professional blog by buying your preferred domain name and changing the DNS nameserver to blogger. The blog can be used to create any type of blog and there are theme both free and paid that you can use to improve your blog design and user experience.
Most newbies use blogger for the first time and migrate to wordpress.org when they have more experience.
- Go to blogger.com on your computer and sign up for new blog by entering your Gmail and password or sign up with your Google plus account. If you don’t have a Gmail account, you can sign up for free Google email.
- Enter your preferred domain name, if you don’t have any idea of the domain name that you want for your blog, you can read more about finding the right domain name for your blog. Don’t use a domain name that is too long the shorter the better because blogger adds BlogSpot to your blog address. Your blog address becomes blogname.blogspot.com.
- Select template that you want for your blog, you can replace your blog with free and paid theme when you want.
- The next step is to click on create button to create your blog, your blog has been created, you still need to customize it by adding about us page and contact us page.
- Upload your logo to the header of your blog, if you don’t know how to create your blog logo, I have written detailed steps that will help when you want to create logo on canva. Head over to the layout of your blog and upload your logo.
- Before you start posting on your newly created blog, create your about us page and contact us page. The about us page will tell people about the author and what the blog is all about and the contact us page will help your visitor to contact you.
- Create an account on Google search console and other search engine webmaster and submit your blog sitemap, this will enable your blog to be crawl and indexed on their search engine and thereby getting you organic traffic.
- Sign up on Google analytics to monitor your blog traffic and improve your blog visibility.
- You can still tweak your blog until you are satisfied with the blog design by removing and adding features when you are satisfied with your blog design, you have to write blog post for visitor to read.
- Make sure the blog post that you published on your blog are search engine optimized this will enable you to get traffic from search engine. You can share your blog post with your family and friend.
- Enable Google Adsense on your blog to earn money from your blog.
How to Remove BlogSpot from Your Blog on Blogger
Blogger is a blogging platform that you can use to create blog for free, the only problem involves with using blogger is the additions of Blogspot to your blog address. If you don’t like BlogSpot appearing on your blog address, you can use your own domain name and change the blog address.
- Buy domain name of your choice from domain registrar, you should buy domain name that is exactly like your blog address.
- Change the nameserver of your domain name to point to Google nameserver, if you don’t know how to change your domain nameserver, you can contact your domain registrar customer service.
- Go to your blogger setting and redirect your blog address to your own domain name.
- All your old and new content use your domain name as your blog address.
How to create a blog using Tumblr
- Go to tumblr.com to begin your registration and input your email address, password, and username.
- Enter your real age and click next to proceed to the next
- Search for related blogs that you are interested in and follow 5 blogs and click next.
- Add your blog title, blog description and a photo of your blog and click next.
- The next is to verify your email, by checking for email sent from Tumblr on your email address. After you verify, you have successfully created your blog on Tumblr.
- Customize your blog by changing the blog theme and create about us page and contact us page for your blog.
- Change your blog address to your own domain name by pointing your domain A record to 188.8.131.52 and go to your blog setting and look for ‘’use custom domain name’’ type your domain name and click okay. Wait for 72 hours if the blog address has not change to your own domain name because it takes some domain registrar couple of hours to change your domain name.
How to create a blog using wordpress.org
WordPress.org is the largest paid platform in the market, trusted by professional; this platform is estimated to be in used by 27% of the blog and website on the internet. The platform can be used by to create different type of blog and website ranging from content, cooking, beauty and health blog, to business website like photography, beauty spa, real estate and so on. If you want to create your blog wordpress.org is the preferred choice with many free and paid theme, plugin, and script to help you when you are designing your blog.
- Free domain name, instead of buying domain name from domain registrar, Bluehost offer free domain name along with their cheap hosting plan. Carefully research about the domain name that you want to use, type the domain name and the preferred domain extension (you should stick with com domain extension, if com is unavailable and you like the domain name, you can look for net, org and biz extension of the domain name).
- Cheap hosting plan, for just $2.95 per month, you are guaranteed that your blog will be online.
- Excellent customer service to answer your question and help you if you lose your ways during the installation of WordPress and designing your blog.
- 30 days money back guaranteed, if you don’t like their hosting plan within the first 30 days of paying, you can get your money back.
Once you pay for your web hosting on Bluehost, you will be asked to choose your password, click on create your password and fill in the password that you like. Make sure that the password is secure and you should remember your password because you need the password to access your Bluehost account. The next step is to install WordPress, look for WordPress icon on Bluehost admin panel and click install.
After installation, your blog is ready though the blog won’t be visible until you change the DNS nameserver of your domain name if you use your own domain name instead of the free domain name provided by Bluehost. You can change the DNS nameserver of your domain name by logging in to your domain registrar or you can ask your domain registrar how to change the DNS nameserver and they will show you how to do it. You can follow the steps below if you are using Godaddy as your domain registrar.
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list.
- Select the domain name you change the nameserver and then click change.
- Under Choose your nameserver and click on Custom, Enter your updated name server information in the space provided
After changing the DNS nameserver of your domain name and installing WordPress from Bluehost admin panel, the next step is to access the WP-admin page of your blog to design your blog to your taste. Type www.yourblogname.com/wp-admin in the address
How to change from HTTP to https
Google recently announce that blog without SSL certificate will be rank lower than blog with SSL certificate. Blog and website look like http://goal.com but with the change, most blog now looks like this https://goal.com, the difference between the two blogs is the presence of SSL which makes it more secured. Having a blog with SSL certificate helps your customer to have rest of mind when dealing with you and also when giving you their details likes email, credit cards and so on. Bluehost offers free SSL certificate for all blog and website that use their web hosting. If you have not turned on your free SSL certificate for your blog, there will be an icon that looks like an I inside a small circle.
- Login into your Bluehost admin page and click on sites.
- This leads to a page where it displays ‘’manage sites’’ click on ‘’manage sites’’
- In the next page, look for the security tab and turn on the free SSL certificate for your blog.
- Wait for few minutes and type your blog address in the search tab of your browser, there will be a green icon around your blog address. The icon looks like a green padlock; this means that your blog is secured.
How to Design a WordPress Blog
Your newly created blog still need some tweaking to suit your taste, the blog comes with free theme that you can replace by buying premium theme on themeforest.net from $25 upwards. Ensure that the blog reflects the niche that you want to focus on and also make sure that the blog is easy to navigate when designing your blog.
You can upload your logo on the dashboard of your blog if you don’t know how to create logo you can outsource the logo or use canva to create your logo. I have written a guide that will help you to create logo better using canva that is free and easy to use.
Basic Plugin to Install On Your Blog
Plugin makes the work of blogger easier, even if you don’t know how to code or write a program there are plugin that blogger use to help in their design, search engine optimization, and maintenance of the website. I will list plugin that every blogger should install on their blog:
Elememtor Page Builder
Question and Answer
Can I use free Theme?
You can use free theme when you start blogging, ensure that theme that you use on your blog is mobile friendly so that you won’t lose mobile visitor. You can move to paid theme anytime you want.
Why Should I install SSL certificate for my blog
All blog collect data of their visitor like email address or credit cards, to give your visitor rest of mind; you should install an SSL certificate to your blog.
Can I move from free platform to paid platform?
You can successfully migrate your account from free platform like blogger to paid platform like WordPress.